Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Berry Special Six Year Old

I'm probably the only thirty-something mom NOT on Pinterest (but give it time--after all, I used to knock Facebook and blogs. . . )  I'm not an elementary teacher.  I'm not "theme-y."  I'm not crafty.  But for Sassy's birthday, I somehow channeled some Pinterest-worthy ideas.  It all started with her request for a cake--Strawberry Shortcake.  Inwardly, I cringed.  I think I mentioned that I'm over decorating cakes.  I think I've done it because I'm "supposed" to--other moms whip up these beautiful, extravagant cakes, by golly, I can too!  Except I can't. . . .  So I mentally said a few choice words and started figuring out where I could get a Strawberry Shortcake pan.  And then the heavens parted and I heard angels singing:  "No, Mom, REAL strawberry shortcake!  With like strawberries and whipped cream."  Woo hoo!  THAT I can do.  So I went online and found a cake from Pioneer Woman--which HAD to be good.  And good thing it was, because did I do a trial run?  Nah. . . .  let's just get up at 6 am the morning of and hope it works.  Luckily for me, it did.  Eat your heart out, Ree!  It turned out beautifully.  And it was crazy good.  Probably had something to do with the 2+ sticks of real butter, block of cream cheese, sour cream, 1 1/2 lbs of powdered sugar. . . .



So after she decided on a cake, I thought, Why not do a berry theme?  We had SO much fun thinking up ideas.  First, a few trips to Dollar Tree and Party City for party favors.  We found some really cute strawberry-shaped sunglasses and who knew there were so many strawberry-flavored treats out there?  We HAD to buy these.  Perfect for a Sassy party!!!


It was really fun to come up with red, green and/or pink party bag stuff.  Sassy was cracking me up though because sometimes she was a little TOO focused on colors.  "Mom, those are red!"  Yes, yes, they are but I doubt your guests will appreciate toilet brushes. . .  We ended up with some fun loot for their pots. . .  Pots. . . hee hee!  Maybe toilet brushes would have worked after all!



We went to the local park (aka FREE to use and FREE easy entertainment.)  We kept it small--in the past we've done mostly family parties but now that there are seven grandkids on my side and a new cousin due on R's, it's harder to get everyone together.  So she invited her best friends and their siblings. (Though we missed A who was out of town!)   


The girls played, ate pizza, and we even came up with two "berry" fun (groan, I know, sorry. . .) activities.  First, they used Paint Pens to paint their flower pots.  I was initially going to have a real strawberry plant inside for each girl to take home but then I realized this would require keeping it alive until the party plus they were a ton easier to paint empty.  I was shocked at how long they spent at the table.  Girls love crafts!!!



Sassy's finished pot

They also made their own Ziploc ice cream.  It was super yummy and fun, and no bowls required--they could just grab a spoon and eat it straight from the bag.  R helped get it ready the night before (rest assured that we didn't serve anything in the Bud Light cups. . . . just used them to hold the bags while he measured.)  



It was a really fun day.  I'm grateful that Sassy has such great friends (and they're pretty darn cute too!)  



Later that night, the four of us saw Brave in 3-D and Sassy chose Red Robin for dinner (Score! One of our faves too.  Plus Uncle S would be proud!)  It was a great day for our "berry" special six year old.  Happy Birthday, Sassy!

1 comment: