Tuesday, May 29, 2012

In the Spotlight

Both girls got to celebrate a "first" at almost the same time this year--school programs.  In April, Sassy got to be the Fox in her kindergarten musical, "The Gingerbread Man."  It was one of the lead roles, and in the end, she ate the gingerbread man, so really. . .   who's more important?  :)  She brought home a CD of music, and we practiced.  And practiced.  And practiced.  So much that Stinkus knew all the words too.  On the night of the big performance, she did a great job and it was really fun to see her up on stage.  She had two solos and then of course, she got to chomp the gingerbread man--backstage, never fear.  :)    




Then a few weeks ago, Stinkus had an end-of-year program at her new daycare.  The theme was "God Bless America" so for months, we've been hearing the cutest rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner."  I just knew she'd get up there and belt out everything she'd been practicing.  They walked in to "Coming to America" and the tears started.  I was just completely overwhelmed with gratitude for this wonderful place that has been SO good for her.  What an incredible silver lining (which I knew was there, but too often, we can't see through the clouds.)  Well. . . once again, I think God was looking out for me, because my tears didn't last long.  For some reason, Stinkus did everything BUT sing.  She twirled her pigtails, she sucked her thumb, she popped her thumb out and looked at it, she turned around and stood backwards, she stuck her tongue out at the boy next to her. . .  Yes, really.  



I did a great job on that pigtail part. . .  and I
had plenty of time to admire it.  HA!
R thinks she was bored, others say she was nervous, I think she was looking out for her emotional basket-case of a mother.  :)  It definitely made for a memorable program.  And in typical Stinkus fashion, when I asked the next day why she didn't sing, I got a quick, nonchalant shrug: "I sing a wittle bit, Mom."

I love seeing how different these two little people are.  I love that one got up there and did exactly what she was supposed to do.  I love that the other one did everything but.  I'm so proud of each of them and I can't wait to see what other "spotlight moments" life has in store.                  

No comments:

Post a Comment