Monday, May 14, 2012

Just Another Day

For over a week, R bugged me about what I wanted to do for Mother's Day.  I'm embarrassed to say that last year I threw a little bit of a hissy because nothing "special" was planned.  It was just another day. Of course, I forgot to realize that around here, it's Mother's Day more than one day out of the year.  I take for granted that I have a husband who cooks me breakfast every day.  On the weekends, it's a ham and cheese omelette and during the week, he fixes me toast--without making himself any because he runs out of time.  He makes my lunch for work every day and leaves it on the counter by the back door.  He cleans the kitchen after dinner while I wrestle little people in the tub (Shhh. . . .Don't tell him that bath-time is WAY easier than dishes.  And it's totally worth not seeing the mess under the table.)  He does laundry, he gets us out the door in the morning, he has the oil changed in my car. . . . The more I think about it,  this guy makes me look like a total slacker! :)

Flowers from church and homemade gifts

Another great fill-in-the blank from Sassy.  Note to self: watch more
TV in front of her.   I swear I don't watch Wheel of Fortune!

So this year, I didn't want anything "special."  We've been running around like crazy lately and I really just wanted some good quality time at home with my couch.  I mean, the people I love.  But man, I do LOVE my couch.  We did lunch after church, then went home and napped all afternoon.  It was heaven.
       
And yet, he still found a way to do something special.  A year and a half ago, our home was broken into, and among other things, the dirtbags took the two necklaces R gave me when the girls were born.  I was devastated.  Of course, we were all safe and I still had the memories of their births, but it was hard to lose something with such sentimental value.  This year, R and the girls got me another mother's necklace.  I love it.  And I love that I have another memory to add to all the others.  

I know that I take my life for granted.  I fail to see how much R does for me 365 days out of the year and how blessed I am to have this beautiful family.  It really hits home when a total stranger notices something that I can easily forget.  Yesterday during mass, an elderly man sat behind us.  I chased Stinkus down the aisle, kept her from crawling under the pews, peeled stickers off my back (apparently someone stuck them on after Communion), and tried to keep a straight face while they sang.  Loudly.  When mass was over, he simply said:  "You are truly blessed."  Yes, yes I am.  And oh-so-grateful.                     

No comments:

Post a Comment