Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Without Children

Problem:  school is out for Sassy, but yours truly still has to work.  Solution:  Grandparents!  We met my parents last week (R's parents will get a turn in August) and they had the girls until Monday.  FOUR days of freedom!!!

Without children:
  • we went out to eat, not once but TWICE--and neither time was under the Golden Arches.
  • we went to a local amusement park and rode all the "big kid" rides.
  • we met one of our favorite couples at a local festival.
  • we slept in and then made breakfast--with a Pandora "island" station playing--LOUDLY.
  • there were no toys to pick up every night.
  • I never had to sweep under the bar stools.
  • I walked into mass on Sunday morning totally empty-handed.  No coloring books, no drinks, no snacks, no markers, no extra underwear, no squirming two year old.   
  • I got to ENJOY mass.  I had time AND peace to listen and pray.
  • we did a spur-of-the-moment drive to a nearby lake--no scheduling around nap time, or looking for matching shoes, or packing drinks.
  • we bought and ate a whole package of Swiss Cake Rolls.  By ourselves. 
  • we watched whatever we wanted on TV and only used the "rewind" feature because we wanted to, not because we missed something due to someone screaming.
  • I had ONE head of hair to fix.
  • we remembered life. . . . BEFORE children.
Without children:
  • I slept so long that my back hurt every morning.
  • it was WAY too quiet.
  • my lap was way too empty.
  • there was no one to tuck in or check on 20 times before I went to bed.  (I love that when they're sleeping, I still see them as the babies we brought home from the hospital.)
  • I was almost bored during mass.
  • there was no one exclaiming, "Dis is da best fam-wee in da world!"
  • I didn't ride any of the little kid rides that I secretly love because my "excuses" weren't around.
  • we bought our usual gallon of milk at the store only to find that we still had a gallon and a half in the fridge.
  • I snacked constantly because I didn't have to share with little people (the scale was NOT my friend with them gone!)
  • I found myself taking pictures of things the girls would love (like baby geese at the lake) since they weren't there
  • the house stayed way too clean (yes, I really just said that)
  • we were reminded that someday this will be life. . . AFTER children are gone.  
I'm SO grateful that our parents are such wonderful grandparents.  I love that the girls are making incredible memories with the people who raised us.  I love having some time to be "us."  And I have to admit--I love getting them back.  A quiet house is overrated.  Though I must say, Swiss Cake Rolls are NOT.    

No comments:

Post a Comment