Sunday, June 26, 2011

Warm Fuzzies

I can imagine that my big family takes some getting used to. We're loud, crazy, perhaps a tad obnoxious. Conversations often become yelling matches (not because we're angry--we're just making sure we can be heard over all the others who keep interrupting.) Dinners are usually buffet-style with disposable plates and silverware, Sharpie names on Solo cups, and "you're on your own to find a seat." If you spend the night, I hope you like the floor or a couch. There are just too many of us to do anything else.

And despite all that, we have found four "outlaws" who weren't scared off to join our rowdy group. It amazes me that not only would I pick my siblings if I could, I would also pick the people they married. Most came from small families (my husband included) and no one has batted an eye at anything. And although I picked R, his family was part of the package--again, a package I would have chosen.

We had a joint birthday party for the girls this weekend. There were 17 of us here. It was crazy, chaotic, noisy and absolutely perfect. We broke out the Sharpie marker and ate for two days straight, we laughed and shouted and played games, we sat outside with a fire and watched the guys blow up some fireworks. Last night, we had people sleeping in the kitchen, dining room, living room, foyer (my sister's idea--I really wasn't going to make her sleep in front of the door...) and both girls' rooms. We were crowded, out of hot water, and constantly either cleaning up a meal or getting another one ready. Did I mention it was perfect? I kept thinking that there aren't too many people who would love a weekend like that, and somehow God brought us all together, not as two sides, not as in-laws, but as ONE family. My girls' family. I feel so blessed to have all of these people in their lives. I hope they know how much they're loved. I hope they know how lucky they are to sleep on our bedroom floor when the rest of our house is packed with these people. I hope they regularly have the warm fuzzies I had all weekend.

I feel a little homesick tonight knowing that everyone is gone. And sometimes I'm sad that my girls won't know the chaos of a big family. But then I realize that this--having one sister--is "normal" for them. They'll have the next best thing--grandparents and lots of aunts, uncles and cousins. Lots of food, games, and laughter. And tons of dirty towels and sheets. :) Oh well, it was worth it. I may put that laundry off for a while though. I'm a little worn out, plus we might still be out of hot water.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post!! It reminds me of my own family, and it gave me goosebumps. Glad you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family is my second family. I couldn't have been more blessed to have each of you in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, you're definitely a sister too! My brothers gave us two awesome Sarahs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tears in my eyes as I'm reading this. I'm so lucky that R chose you!!! You know, I didn't know what it was like to have a big family either but having just my big brother was my perfect family too....until I met you and your sisters! We've always clicked right together from the time we were all the little girls and whenever we were all together I just fell in line as another blonde little girl and I wouldn't have had it any other way! I'm so lucky to have an amazing siter in law and 4 other "sisters-in-law" Even though we were a crazy group I sure hope we can continue to get together for the girls b-days...the whole crew....you're right it was PERFECT!!!! Love you guys....and all the other sisters who read this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you guys had fun. Only wished we lived closer. Can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete