Thursday, June 9, 2011

All in a Day's Work

I'm currently playing "stay at home mom"--I'm blessed in my career to a) have a job that doesn't feel like work and b) have lots of time off with my family. Unfortunately, our summer vacation has been anything but. My youngest gave me a huge scare yesterday by having a febrile seizure. And despite it being something "normal" that accompanies a fever, it's totally NOT normal to see your child's eyes rolling back in her head, her face and lips turning blue, and her body convulsing in your arms. Arrrggghh. It was absolutely horrible. She's fine today, running around acting like her crazy, sassy self, but wow, yesterday is not anything I ever want to experience again. And our day is off to another rocky start--my oldest is on the couch with a fever that won't stay down, a headache and an upset tummy. But it could be so much worse. Yesterday at this time, I thought it was. I was calling 911 and trying to pry my finger out of my baby's mouth (I've since learned not to do this during a seizure--no thanks to all the inaccurate medical dramas I've seen on TV. . . ha! I still can't feel my fingertip today. . .) and pleading for her to stay with me. I slept on her bedroom floor last night, not quite confident that she was ok to sleep. That's what mommyhood does to you. You're forever vulnerable, watching over these two little people who have become your whole world. Moments like yesterday remind me (when I already know) that days can start out completely normal and in the blink of an eye become anything but. And your whole world changes. Yesterday just hit a little too close to MY whole world. OK, time for more Motrin all around. I'm beat. Maybe I'll go back to work to get some time off.

No comments:

Post a Comment