Tuesday, July 10, 2012

More Firsts and Lasts

I'm finding that life with kiddos means lots of firsts and lasts. This summer has been no exception:

We are still on our last box of diapers! I may have to get some Pull-ups for overnight when these are gone, but she's even doing pretty well with that.

Sassy has now lost her first TWO teeth. And not to steal the spotlight, but I'm pretty darn proud of my role each time. Yours truly who wouldn't dare pull her own teeth (hence the braces later in life. . .) pulled both of Sassy's loose teeth. It was pretty cool. She was SO excited and relieved, AND it helped my "Trust me, it will feel better when it's out" pep talk. I may not be right on much (especially as she gets older), but this time, I was the mom who knew something. I'll take it. :)


Sadly, Stinkus experienced her first funeral (and it was the first one Sassy remembers). We will miss Great Grandma, but we celebrate her 90 years here and the many lives she touched. She lost her husband during the Korean War, never remarried, and raised four kids by herself. It obviously wasn't the best of circumstances, but it was really nice to see so much family, and to see the girls play with R's cousins' kids. The next generation was pretty cute together.

And we're also adding to this generation. . . In June, we got to see cousin B become a big sister for the first time. The girls are in LOVE with Baby E.L. And she's SO pretty! Congrats to my sister and her beautiful family!!!


AND. . . the girls are getting their first cousin on R's side! Congrats to Aunt B and Uncle S! We're so excited to meet "Sonic" in December and know that they'll be wonderful parents.

Sassy had her last day of kindergarten which was surprisingly harder on me than the first. Watching her get on the bus for the last time as a kindergartner really choked me up. I think it's because everyone tells you how fast it goes--and how much faster it goes the older they get. Well, this year FLEW. And I got really upset wondering how on earth it could go any faster. Years from now, when she's pulling away in her own car, this is how I will see the first year of school--little legs and a Hello Kitty backpack. And darn it, I'm getting all teary again!


And we experienced summer school for the first time. She loved it, I made easy money, but I'm seriously bummed that my summer is just four weeks long. Sassy made me feel a little better one day when she said this was the "the most rockin' summer EVER!" I was like, Really? :( And then she went on to say that each weekend felt like a little summer. Oh happy heart. :) I'm reminding myself that it's quality vs. quantity, and that there are few parents who get a month off every summer let alone three. So we're making every minute--and memory--count. :)

One of the memories we made was the girls' first big float trip. We've taken them out in the kayaks and canoe quite a bit, but never for a 7 hour float. Three of my sisters and a boyfriend made the trek down and we hit the river. We had a blast and the girls were rock stars. They're at the age where life is just EASY. No diapers or feedings to mess with, they can hold certain bodily functions until we get to an outfitter on the river, they can shade themselves with umbrellas. It was great. I love that our girls love to camp and be on the water. I see a lot of this in our future summers!


It honestly has been a rockin' summer. I'm trying to forget that I'm back at work in three weeks. Instead, I'm wondering what firsts and lasts these next three weeks will bring--and remembering to cherish every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment