Monday, July 30, 2012

Our Summer-y Summary: Part 1

Ironically the summer that I was dreading the most ended up being one of the best yet. Somehow we've packed a lot into a little time off. Sass was right with her "most rockin' summer ever" description. I think the best part is that we've gotten to catch up with a LOT of friends and family. So much in fact, I told R that I'm nervous that something is going to happen to us--yes, this is really how my mind works sometimes. So if that's the case, I'm glad I got to see you!

The other great part about our summer is that SO much of it revolved around water. Isn't that what summer is all about?

In May, we camped with Grandma, Pop, Aunt B and Uncle S. The girls loved the beach and had a blast sleeping in the camper. . . Poor Mom and Dad had to be all alone in the tent. . And sleeping in? Ok, if we must. :) We also celebrated the girls' birthdays which worked out great. I don't think we ended up with ANY free weekends for a party!


Sand castles with Aunt B

Birthday cupcakes
June brought our camping "adventure" where the tent, as Stinkus puts it, melted. And Daddy went on a guys' weekend float trip but I don't seem to have any photos to share. Probably a good thing. :)

July got a little crazy. We went to my husband's hometown for Great Grandma's funeral and got to spend the 4th with family. The girls loved it. . . until one of the fireworks fell over and shot down the sidewalk where we were sitting. Twice. :) Hey, we were just trying to impress those cousins from Texas.

Snappers

We had five girlies 6 and under!

More water fun!
Then it was time to meet up with the "M Aunties" for the girls' first float trip. It was such a great time. And as we said more than once, we ate WELL. I'll have to remember some recipes the next time we camp! Like walking tacos!

With Auntie Mo and Auntie My in the "riffer!"

Auntie Monie and J aren't doing too much paddling. . . 

Dad's idea worked great!

We also did a day trip to a local state park and met up with some good friends who live a few hours away. It's the perfect halfway point. The kids can run around and climb on the playground or build castles out of dirt (yes, they tried. My girls really should have been boys some days. . . ) or play in the river. We're planning to do it again this fall so I'm excited to see them again!

Playing with W

Love this pic--one sister is shocked to be splashed and the other
(GUILTY) sister is enjoying it way too much! 



A few days later one of my best friends from college came to visit. It was so good to see her and her two boys. The girls were SO nervous because all they had were "girl" toys but after a short introduction to Barbies AND Polly Pocket, all their fears subsided.  I know C and J's daddy would be so proud. I love this pic of C! I think he was a bit embarrassed to be caught!


We took the kids to the nearby lake and spent the day. They had a blast. They built an "oasis" in the sand and swam, and it was SO good to catch up with S! We vowed not to let YEARS go by again!






Then we were off the next weekend to the lake to see my aunt, uncle, cousin and her family.  She has three boys and Sassy remarked:  "Not more boys!"  Let's hope she keeps that attitude for the next twenty years.  :)

J took the girls out on the Sea-Doo and they LOVED it.  Stinkus may or may not have thrown a few fits any time someone else was riding. . . 



It has been a few years since we've been to the lakehouse ("waterhouse" according to Stinkus) so it was really fun to see everyone.  And SO much easier than when Stinkus was a baby.  I need to remember this the next time I'm sad that I don't have a baby anymore.  Summers like this wouldn't be possible!

While I'd like to say we took it easy the last week of July, there's more summer to post.  Which will have to wait until another day.  The other great part of summer is getting plenty of couch time.  Which didn't happen. Until now.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment