Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Baby Fever

Last weekend we headed "out west" to see my brother and his family. They live seven hours away and I'm embarrassed to say it's been three years since we've been to their house. In our defense, though, life was a little different three years ago. We only had Sassy and they were newly pregnant the first time around. Those offspring tend to shake up your life a bit. :) They now have a beautiful 2 1/2 year old girl and a sweet 7 week old boy. My girls are IN LOVE. They've decided that we now need a baby. Specifically a boy. Specifically a boy with the same name as my nephew. :)

It made me a little sad watching the girls with Baby K. Sassy is getting to the point where she would be a huge help with a baby. And she was SO good. She would sit and "read" books or just sing songs forever. I think she might want a baby just to have someone listen to her talk. :)



And I've always seen Stinkus as the little sister. It was SO sweet to see her with a baby. I realized she'd make a pretty good big sister as well.



Hmmmm. . . . another baby?

Before I had children, I always wanted four. Then I had one. Hello, Reality! And this after an "easy" baby. So I "settled" for having three. And then I had two. Whoa. Why did a second feel like we added half a dozen more? I really feel like a failure sometimes because two is a LOT. And then I look at my mom and think, How on earth did she do 8?! Without becoming an alcoholic?

I love my girls, don't get me wrong. I really don't know what we used to do with our time. Or what used to make us laugh. Now we have Sassy talking about Chicken Boy in school and Stinkus yelling, "Are you kidding me, Mom?" (And yes, while that one required some definite discipline, it was pretty much impossible to keep a straight face.) It's hard work, but it's also truly the best thing I've ever done. I give thanks every day that God let me be their mommy. It's a great gig.

But honestly, they will most likely have to get their baby fix from their cousins. I have to admit that I'm pretty darn excited to be almost done with diapers (hopefully sooner rather than later, please, Stinkus). And whenever I start thinking, "Maybe one more," I remember those first weeks of "Oh my gosh, what did we do?!" I wasn't a newborn person. Yes, they're all sweet and cuddly, but I love how much easier life is now. I love that feeding Stinkus doesn't require any of my body parts and that she can tell me things like, "Ow, my poot (foot) hurts" and I don't have to guess what might be wrong. Honestly, I'd probably have a dozen if they came out as toddlers.

But for now, our family is complete, and the girls will have to cure their baby fever with some road trips.



Unless God has some other crazy plans. And at this point, I'd be the one saying, "Are you kidding me?" :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure M would let them borrow her little brother whenever they want! Ha! It was so good to see you guys. Love you all and see you in a little over a week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new nephew!! I will say you did get my hopes up when I read Baby Fever... Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete