Monday, March 3, 2014

Our 2013

So it's March 3 and we're on our 16th (17th?) snow day of the school year.  The actual temp this morning was 2 (2. No, I didn't leave out a number) and this is the view out my back window:


So. Over. It.  But the good news is that I've never gotten around to posting our Top Moments of 2013.  And because I'm wearing three layers of clothing, (I'm also over The Winter of Trying to Conserve Propane) I'm going to pretend that it's really still Christmas break and I'm not three months behind.  :)

I polled my family recently in the car about our past year and simultaneously, three voices echoed in sweet harmony:  "Florida."  Awwww, Florida.  On more than one occasion, we've all gotten homesick for Florida.  We were driving one day a few months ago and out of the blue, Keke asked oh-so-sadly, "When can we go back to Florida?"  I know there will be other vacations and other trips, but there's something about our first one that will always be special.  Some days it feels like it was all a dream.  It was really that good.

August marked the first day of second grade, preschool and Mama's 15th year!  It was also the last first day for Sassy at the elementary (she'll be at the intermediate next year) and Keke's last first day before kindergarten.  I'm not sure if I'm ready for my Cuddle Buddle to be in school but May marks our last daycare bill and I'm definitely ready for that.  :)



Sassy started riding her bike by herself and Keke conquered staying dry overnight.  Most of the time. . . Seriously though, they're both so darn big.  I love it and hate it all at once.  I love that they're both in boosters and can buckle their own seatbelts, I love that R and I can sleep in on Saturdays while they watch TV, I love that they both dress themselves in the mornings and (usually) have their shoes on the right feet.  I got behind a young mom at Walmart the other day who had a sleeping baby and toddler in one cart and her groceries in the other, and it dawned on me that I've become "that" mom.  The oohing and aahing "older" mom who misses the baby days and realizes how fast it goes by.  However, it was short lived as I watched her juggling the carts, her wallet, the waking baby--and my kids were fighting over who could put the most groceries on the conveyor belt.  ("Girls!  Stop it! There's enough for everyone!  Hey, don't forget the stuff on the bottom.  Mommy's just gonna finish reading the tabloid headlines.")  

Luckily our family keeps feeding my baby fix.  Our new niece/cousin JE barely made the list--she made her appearance on December 28!  And our nephew/cousin S celebrated his "rebirth" in May when he was baptized.  We've had so much fun getting new babies!



We also got the news that we're adding yet another family member this year.  No. . . no babies at this point. . . Just Uncle "Turden."  :)  He and Auntie Moni are getting married in August!  And her nieces are SO excited!  They're also moving only two hours away from us (YAY!) so we're excited to have some more family closer.  


We were blessed with lots of weekend/camping trips with friends and family, and Mama was able to get away to St. Louis with two of my best friends from college.  I met them in 1994 when a stranger knocked on my dorm door saying she needed a place to live after a fight with her roommate--would I mind if she moved in?  Sure. .  . why not?  I look back often on this moment and know that our paths were supposed to cross.     

The three of us have been through a lot in nineteen years.  Two marriages, two babies, two step daughters, one accident, too many funerals, lots of moves, several job changes.  We've done road trips to visit each other, a wedding on the beach, and now a vow to do more getaways together.  We had SUCH a fun weekend.  It's hard to believe I've known these girls for almost 20 years (and even harder to believe that my freshman year of college was that long ago. . yikes.)


Another great year.  We're blessed with family, friends, good health, happy (most of the time!) kids and we're ready for the rest of 2014.  I just hope it involves a little less snow.      

No comments:

Post a Comment