Tuesday, January 21, 2014

43 Things

Resolutions are tough.  On one hand, I love the idea of a new year and a new me.  I love the idea of working on things that I know I need.  But on the other hand, shouldn't every day be a chance to do this?  And honestly. . . how long do those resolutions last?  (Ask the blog I started when I resolved to read a book a week.  I got to Week 30-something. . . ) 

Recently, one of the teachers I work with challenged his students to make a list of "43 Things." (He got the idea here.)  And like every assignment he gives, he also completed it.  And then he challenged ME.  To which I whined:  "I've already done everything."  High school graduation, check.  College, check.  Career, check.  Own a house, check.  Husband, check.  Kids, check.  Master's degree, check.  That's it.  I've done everything I was supposed to.  To which he replied:  "Seriously?"  This teacher is about ten years younger than I am (How old did I feel when we determined he was in eighth grade on 9/11 when I was teaching eighth grade. . . ) and he's very worldly.  He's been everywhere and done everything.  (And might I add, he's single so I'm sure that has something to do with it.)  But he got me thinking.  I've done what I was "supposed" to do. . . what do I WANT to do with my life?  We get ONE.  ONE life.  And the older I get, the shorter it seems.  I hope nothing happens to me any time soon, but lately I've felt reminded of my own mortality.  Maybe it's because I'm getting older.  Maybe it's the month (January is a tough one).  Maybe it's because lately I've seen too many people I know lose loved ones or face death.  And it makes you realize that while we hopefully have eternity after this world, THIS is our only earthly life.  What do YOU want to do?  So. . . challenge accepted.

It was tough.  There were some easy ones: 
Retire on a beach in Key West with my husband, a sailboat, and a beach chair. 

Some felt like cheating because they're on the agenda for this year so if all goes as planned, I'll get to cross them off (you remember that I like that crossing off thing. . .):
Disney
stick my feet in the Pacific Ocean
get rid of the blue toilet (it's sitting in my front yard as we speak.  Yes, really!) 

Some will most likely never happen: 
have my own talk show
star in a musical (hard to do when you lack singing ability. . . )
write a best-selling YA novel
be a famous blogger 

Others are more manageable:
watch Gone with the Wind (never seen it!)
finish a book series (I'm horribly embarrassed that this librarian typically just reads the first book and never gets around to the others because there are SO many new releases!)
organize my digital photos 

It was really good for me to do.  It made me realize that while I've checked a lot off my list, there are still things in life that I hope, dream, and wish for.  And while the degrees, husband, kids, house, and career are a lot to be proud of and grateful for, who are we without dreams?  Somewhere beyond the wife, mom, and librarian is a soul who wants to go ziplining, learn to crochet, cruise the Vegas Strip in a convertible and read the Bible in its entirety.

So what's on your list?  Make it.  And then make it happen.               

No comments:

Post a Comment