Sunday, January 15, 2012

To Pee or Not to Pee

Every time I go shopping, I optimistically think it will be my last time to buy diapers. That was numerous boxes ago. I know now why it's called "training." She can, and she has, but there is absolutely no consistency to it. It's pretty clear that the "training" refers to us. She'll run and hide when it's time for numero dos, yelling, "Not look at me!" then moments later return with a diaper, wipes, and a command: "I pooped. Change my diaper. Now." Sure thing. I'll get right on it.

I've tried. I tried a sticker chart. She earned two stickers, then later ripped them off, found different stickers and proceeded to stick them randomly all over the chart. Which did not settle well with her Type A mama and older sister. I tried candy, which worked for awhile until I started using chocolate instead of Smarties. The chocolate didn't last long in this house (her parents have NO self-control) so when she discovered that all we had was Smarties, game over. I could buy more chocolate but let's be honest, it wouldn't be used for potty-training. I've tried holding her on there--especially after she stays dry ALL night. It worked a few times. The other times there was pee all over my floor. At least in a diaper, it's contained. Santa even brought big girl Dora panties which she's worn once. You can probably guess why we haven't pulled them out again. She just has no interest. "You wanna sit on the potty?" Her answer both cracks me up and infuriates me: "No fanks, Mom!" At least she's polite. I keep thinking that one day it will all just click. She knows what's she's doing (did I mention she brings us a diaper and wipes?) but apparently it's gonna have to be on HER terms. (I'm foreseeing a lot of that in her future. . .)

I told her the other morning that I was tired of changing diapers. "I bet Katie wears big girl panties."
"Yep, her does." I'm not sure she could be any more nonchalant and unaffected. "Wouldn't you like to wear big girl panties too?"
"Nope, not yet, Mom."
"Seriously! WHEN?" Totally exasperated.
She holds up three fingers and gives me the matter-of-fact answer: "When I free."

I'm hoping it doesn't take that long. June is still five months off. I'm trying to remember that someday I will miss having a "baby" and that she's already growing up faster than I want. But I'm still hoping that our next box of diapers is our last.

1 comment:

  1. Oh...the stubborn little June girls born in 2009 :) Zoe is pulling the same card - we have had very similar experiences.

    ReplyDelete