Monday, January 30, 2012

100 Days

Last week, Sassy celebrated her 100th Day of School.


I don't remember observing this growing up, but apparently it's a BIG deal. They begin the count-"up" on the very first day, and the whole occasion revolves around a "100" theme. Each student took in a Ziploc of 100 items, the first graders dressed like they were 100 years old, and they did all kinds of "100" activities (see Baby Sister pic below.)


Cute stuff. And honestly. . .it's more than just cute. It
IS a big deal. When I sat back and thought about it, my baby girl has changed a LOT in 100 days. She's grown physically of course (Oops, Mom's behind on laundry, these pants aren't too short if you tuck them into your boots. . .) but she's learned SO much in 100 days. And I thought, who better to ask about what she's mastered than Sassy herself. So, in her own words:

What Sassy has learned in 100 days:
to read first grade books (This mama is SO proud!)
to tie my shoes
to get on the bus ("And where to get OFF the bus," she smirked. Very important skill as she got a tour of our entire county on Day 1 after not getting off at her stop.)
blend slides (Again, we didn't call it this when I was in school)
to pump myself on the swings
how to work a computer
how to be good in the library
what popcorn chicken is ("When you first read it to me, I didn't know what that was!")
to try new things in the lunchroom
that kids can have different colors of skin (Wow...)
how to play basketball on your bottom on a scooter. And hockey.
to listen to the teacher so you don't have to turn a card. (She broke her streak just this past month and both card-turns were TRAUMATIC. She came right home and tearfully confessed her guilt--let's hope that continues well into the teenage years.)

I tried to get her to say something about Chicken Boy but she just rolled her eyes at me. Pretty sure THAT will continue into the teenage years as well. . .

I'm so proud of the progress she's made, and the little lady that she's growing into. It's hard to believe that she's more than halfway through her first year. Even better is that this is just the beginning. What will the next 100 days bring?





2 comments:

  1. What is blend slides??? And I don't remember 100 days being big, either, but I saw lots of kindergarten teachers talking about it! So exciting for them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instead of individual letters making sounds, she learned "blend slides" like ba, ca, pa, sa, etc. Add a T and they're reading bat, cat, pat, sat! :)

    ReplyDelete