Saturday, September 1, 2012

Hole In One

I love that my girls have each other. There's nothing like a sibling. Although there were definitely some rough moments getting along when we were younger, (hairbrush throwing, brother kicking the bottom panel out of my bedroom door, that same door being thrown open hard enough to leave a doorknob-sized hole in my wall. . . ) I'm so grateful for my siblings. Now that we're all adults, we have such great relationships. We don't get to see each other very often and we probably don't talk as often as we should, but when we get together, we truly enjoy each other. Of course, it might be because we live hours apart. . . We probably prove the adage: Absence makes the heart grow fonder. ha!

The older the girls get, the more I love seeing them interact. They carry on entire conversations in the backseat that I'm not even part of (and I'm sure as teenagers, there will be MANY more of these.) They build Lego houses, forts, and zoos. They draw, paint, and cut (thankfully just paper--no one is missing any hair. Yet.)

Of course, it's not perfect harmony 24/7. Sassy likes to play in her room--alone. With the door shut and a broken-hearted little sister on the other side. Stinkus likes to color, tear, knock down, erase, paint, eat, etc anything that's special to Big Sis. She's also been known to scratch, pinch, bite and hair-pull when she's all fired up. Sassy is sometimes not as gracious to share but thinks all of Stinkus's toys are fair game. Somedays there are total meltdowns because the other sister got the pink plate at dinner or I was supposed to get the other one out of the bath first. It's enough to make ME want to put a hole through a wall.

The other night, I was getting dinner going and I noticed it was REALLY quiet. Which is usually a bad sign. It means that Sassy is playing in her room and Stinkus is doing something that she shouldn't be. I was pleasantly surprised to find that not only were they playing together, they were working on building a miniature golf course in the front room.

I love that they were looking at normal, everyday toys and determining how they could be used.







I love how creative they are--and that they don't rely on TV or us to entertain them (I see a lot of kids at school who expect this every day.)



I love that Sassy was showing Stinkus how to hit the ball.


I love that when it was Stinkus's turn she would say, "Ok, focus, focus. . . " And then still not hit it the right way.


I love that they were playing together and that no one was throwing a hairbrush.

Afternoons aren't always like this, but these sweet moments remind me that we've given the girls the best gift ever for the future: each other.

1 comment: